Woodlands Community College
Inspiring, Challenging, Achieving
Open Evening - Thursday 22nd September 2016 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Advanced warning that school will close at 13:20 on Thursday 22nd September for preparation for Open Evening
Dear Parents, Carers and Students,
Prior to the very end of the summer holiday the school had a two day Ofsted inspection. The report detailing the findings of this inspection has now been finalised. It will be live on the OFSTED website on the 16th September but can be viewed now on our school website by clicking on the “About Us” link from the top menu.
It is really pleasing to see the report recognises so many strengths of the school.
Your child’s wellbeing is extremely important to us and it is especially pleasing to note the comments in the report in relation to this. The report states that :
• “The headteacher has established a culture of ambition and an atmosphere where pupils feel happy and secure “
• “The care and support for pupils with health and learning needs is sensitive and helpful. Pupils’ welfare has a high priority and they feel safe”
• “The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development and welfare is good “
• Pupils said…. “The school makes a big deal of anti bullying, as it does for anti- discrimination and equality for all “
• “All pupils met during the inspection believe bullying is rare and unacceptable.”
The bottom two comments are especially good to hear. Bullying , sadly, happens in all schools , especially in an age of 24/ 7 social media. Woodlands is no different in this respect. However, we have worked extremely hard to tackle any bullying within the school and always take steps to address any concerns raised. To have this acknowledged by pupils and external visitors is pleasing.
The report also comments upon our curriculum and learning in general. It states:
• “The curriculum is good. Leaders make sure that pupils’ horizons are widened ……pupils are well prepared for their futures”
• “Pupils behaviour in lessons is now predominantly good and many..are keen to learn”
• “Pupils who attend well achieve well”
The last comment is particularly true for our school and really accentuates the reason why we are always trying to improve attendance within our school. It is starkly clear that those students who attend for the majority of their academic career will achieve well. Those that miss days on a regular basis are , more often than not, seriously underachieving.
Although there are so many positives highlighted in the report, myself and the leadership team are acutely aware that the overall judgement is one of “Requires Improvement”. The academic performance of some of our young people and their attendance rates still fall below the level expected.
I give you my assurances that addressing these shortcomings is my number one priority and we are working hard to ensure rapid improvements. This can only be done in partnership with you though. By working together to ensure our young people are in school every day and actively engaging with learning, both in school and after school, I know these improvements will happen. As the report states:
• “The school is already in a high gear and poised to move forward fast”
With your help we will ensure that this movement forward is as quick as it can possibly be.
If you wish to discuss any aspects of the report , do please contact me at school via reception or through my email address.
© 2015 Woodlands Community College
T 02380 463303
F 02380 366263
Terms and Conditions
Report a Problem